Saturday, November 15, 2014

"As a man soweth...."

"As a man soweth, so shall he reap...."  This biblical principle has nothing to do with the Hindu concept of karma....It is rather the law of natural consequences as it exists in this fallen world.  If I stick my face in a fan, it will be cut--and it is going to hurt! 

In a similar fashion, if I chose to live my life apart from God--striving only to receive the "good things" in this life--it is inevitable that I shall be tormented in the future life by the bitter knowledge of my separation from God.

For truly there has to be more to this life than the accumulation of the things of this corruptible world--and that includes not only material objects, but also honor, glory and human recognition. 

The rich man in the Gospel was condemned to hell not because he was rich, nor because he enjoyed the good blessings of God in this life.  It was rather because he was so engrossed in this transitory, earthly life that he forgot about God.  While dining sumptuously, he did not give a thought concerning the real purpose and meaning of life--nor did he give thanks to God for the blessings he had received.

Lazarus, on the other hand, patiently endured the circumstances into which he had been placed, being grateful for the crumbs which  fell from the rich man's table and the dogs that licked his wounds.  Truly, God cannot be a mere afterthought in our day to day lives.  We must strive always to live a life of sacrificial love, affirming with St. Paul, "I am crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live; yet not I, but God liveth within me."

No comments:

Post a Comment